To Order DNA Kits (Blood Cards, Hair Cards or TSU’s)
Questions About DNA Results?
DNA results are sent upon completion. If email results were requested, remember to check spam or junk mail.
If responding to a DNA report please reference the order number, barcode and provide official name and registration number of additional parents to try.
Learn About the Importance of Parentage Verification
View a webinar from Neogen here.
Learn about “Genes and Genomics” here.
DNA PARENT VERIFICATION IS REQUIRED FOR:
- Fullblood cattle registrations
- Moderator®/Purebred bulls used artificially (A.I.) must be verified to American Aberdeen portion of pedigree.
- Moderator®/Purebred females who will be flushed must have DNA type on file – parent verification not required.
- Parentage Verification is not necessary for the registration of Moderator®/Purebred animals (See Rule III number 6 under Standards for Registration).
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CATTLE:
1. Get a DNA Kit from the American Aberdeen Association®. Fullbloods must be parent verified. Moderator cattle only need to be parent verified IF they meet the qualifications above.
To get a kit: Order Online Here.
2. Once you have received your DNA kit, obtain a blood sample or hair sample.
For cattle over 6 months, Parentage requires a hair sample, blood sample or a TSU (Tissue Sampling Unit).
For cattle under 6 months, Parentage requires a blood sample or a TSU (Tissue Sampling Unit).
For info on how to obtain hair, blood or semen samples, see the article – DNA Sampling Instructions.
3. Fill out the DNA Testing Form.
You received one with your DNA kit or you can download the DNA Form.
4. Mail the DNA Testing Form, payment and DNA samples to the American Aberdeen Association.
AAA offers 2 options for receiving your results: email or regular mail. Please be sure to indicate your preference on the DNA Cattle Testing Form.
Once you receive the DNA Parentage Report from AAA showing qualification of the sire, dam and mating combination, you are ready to apply for registration*.
*If the sire, dam or the mating combination is disqualified, you will need to refer to your herd records and email AAA at [email protected]. Include the order number, barcode of the animal in question and the official name and registration number of additional parent(s) to try.
5. Register your cattle.
In order to apply for registration, you will need the following:
a. Your animal’s tattoo numbers. For more info please see the article Guidelines for Tattoo Requirements.
If you DNA Parent Verified your cattle prior to November 1, 2021*, you will also need:
b. the barcode from the Neogen DNA Parentage Report.
c. a copy of the Neogen DNA Parentage Report either saved to your computer or printed out.
*Animals DNA parent verified after November 1, 2021 will have the barcode and a copy of the DNA Parentage Report stored at the registry.
6. You may apply for cattle registration either online or through US mail.
To apply for cattle registration online:
Click “online version” link to online cattle registration form link to current one here https://americanaberdeen.com/member-resources/register-cattle/cattle-reg/
and fill out the form. Online applications are processed with credit cards only.
- If you DNA Parent Verified your cattle prior to November 1, 2021 – During the application process you will need to upload your DNA Parentage Report with the application for registration OR you may email your DNA Parentage Report to [email protected] at the time you apply for registration online.
- If your registration requires a certificate of embryo recovery (embryo transfer calves), it is recommended that you submit your application via the mail and include all documents with your application.
To apply for cattle registration through the US mail:
Download the Single Animal Registration Form. Fill out the form and send with a check and the DNA report to:
American Aberdeen Association
PO Box 850
Big Horn, Wyoming 82833